Reminder, winter parking ban is in effect from November 15 to April 15. No overnight street parking between the hours of 1 a.m. and 5 a.m.Vehicles will be ticketed and/or towed at the owners expence.
The Abington Department of Public Works is responsible for the care and maintenance of the town’s parks, playing fields, public roads, sidewalks, sewer infrastructures, pumping stations, and town vehicles. We work to provide cost effective, safe, and environmentally friendly solutions to enhance the town and the environment surrounding. In addition, the DPW Recreation Department provides camps, activities, and classes for both children and adults to help develop young minds and encourage active, healthy lifestyles.
The Town of Abington Sewer Department consists of:
- 90 miles of gravity and force main pipe ranging in size from 1.25” to 18” in diameter
- 1692 sewer manholes
- 12 sewer pump stations containing a total of 27 pumps ranging in size from 1.5hp to 60hp, 15 emergency generators and transfer switches for backup power, and 13 wet wells
- 4849 property connections
- Approximately 95% of the Town’s sewer effluent is conveyed to the City of Brockton’s Oak Hill Way Waste Treatment Facility with the remainder conveyed to the Town of Rockland’s and Wastewater Plant. The Town of Abington is co-permitees of each wastewater treatment plant.
- The Town of Abington is allotted a maximum average of 1.5 MGD to the City of Brockton and 110,000 gallons per day to the Town of Rockland. Both Inter-Municipal agreements contain strict geographical areas for allowable sewer connections.
- The Town of Abington is mandated by each Inter-municipal Agreement, the EPA and the DEP to maintain and inspect the sewer system with semi-annual reports submitted to all parties.
Town of Abington Highway Department responsibilities:
- 225 roadways, sidewalks, right of ways, bridges, ditches, and brook clearing
- Tree maintenance
- Maintains all fields and town owned land
- Maintains municipal and school properties
- Road building
- General maintenance such as street sweeping and cleanings
- Preparation of Island Grove in the summer months